History and present
The history of the company is tightly connected with development of railway traffic in Austria- Hungary, when in 1872 the construction of railways had started at particular parts of territories: Pest-Salgótarján- Lučenec- Zvolen- Kremnica- Vrútky. This was the start of repair manufactory in Zvolen. In the end of the 1st world war in 1918, Repair manufactory of Zvolen was separated from The MÁV (hungarian railways) and the company had become part of czech- slovakian railways.
As well as the importance of railways in Slovakia increased, the importance of repair manufactory of Zvolen increased too. Later, the original company become part od Czech- slovakian national railways. During the 2nd world war, Repair manufactory of Zvolen was producing panzer trains, which were involved in the war against german invaders.
As a result of national transformation in 1952, the original company was transformed and it become part od czech- slovakian national repair company. Another important step was when the company started production of electric locomotives in 1964. In addition, the status of Repair manufactory of Zvolen was changed thanks to changes in national economy and its positive economic results. Finally, in 1987 the company Železničné opravovne a strojárne Zvolen was established.
Another political and economic changes caused that in 90ties the company become part of national railway company of Slovakia. In 1994 company was transformed to new legal status and company become the joint-stock company. Later, in 1995 the company came through privatization, and Repair company of Zvolen was the most important owner of the joint- stock company. Another important year is 1999, when the company achieved certification for ISO 9001: 2000( managment of quality system) and later ISO 14001:2004 ( environmental managment system) in 2005. The last important step was the act of integration ŽOS Zvolen, a.s. to ŽOS Trnava Group (added with ŽOS Trnava and GOŠA, which produces in Serbia.)